Pages

Sunday, 8 December 2013

Food glorious food

We had to go into Milas on Friday to talk to Mehmet the vet about Poppy.  I knew I had to discuss everything that happened, how fast it happened, and what Mehmet had done for her, but couldn't face it for a few days.

We took Monty with us because I found some fleas on him and needed to get some more treatment.  I believe he was treated recently, before he came to us, but seems to have picked up these nasty creatures from somewhere so wanted to prevent him passing them on to the others.   I use Bayticol solution on the other 4 dogs, because it comes in a large bottle which provides several treatments.  It's much the same as Frontline, very effective and it works out cheaper.  Vets here won't generally tell you about it because there's less profit, so it's always worth asking.    I never used it on Poppy because she was a white-haired dog with more sensitive skin, so because Monty has similar hair and skin, Bayticol wouldn't be suitable for him either.  So we used Frontline.

A total bill for Poppy's treatment was worked out, and we paid some of it...the rest will follow in due course.  Mehmet is always happy to wait for payment, because not only are we reliable, but he always puts the animals first before money.

While we were in his clinic a tiny dog ran in and jumped on my lap, then onto my shoulder and started licking my face.  Apparently Mehmet found him on the street.  He knew who it belonged to because he had previously treated him.  He contacted the owners who said they no longer wanted him, so Mehmet seems to be stuck with him.  His wife (also a vet) said she would be happy to keep him, but if this proves too much for her, as they are always so busy, maybe we will take him.

On the way back we decided to make a detour to the saniye (industrial estate) on the main road near the turn off to our village.  Mr A has been there recently and noticed a number of stray dogs.  We always carry dried dog food in the truck so we decided to feed some of them.

There weren't as many dogs  as there were when Mr A was last there, so we are a little concerned about what has happened to them.  No doubt they have been disposed of.  However we fed the ones we found.  Whilst doing so, a man appeared from one of the workshops and told us about the 4 pedigree pups he had just bought from Izmir.  I was just about to open my mouth and Mr A gave me one his looks that says "don't get into an argument".   It just makes me so angry when people buy special breeds here, whilst ignoring the starving dogs all around them.

We couldn't get close enough to a few dogs, who were clearly scared, so left the food at a distance from them, but here are some that we managed to feed that weren't so timid:




We would like to continue to feed these dogs, our village strays, and any others we come across, on a regular basis throughout the winter. 

I have received donations from some very kind people recently which will enable us to do our best for these dogs.  Thankyou so much to those of you who have donated.  I am so grateful...and the dogs are too!

If you want to help, there is a Paypal button on my sidebar.  Please do not feel obliged, and never feel that any amount is too small to make a huge difference.  

Thankyou xxx

12 comments:

  1. You are truly a good soul Linda. I wish with all my heart there were more like you. We couldn't have found a better home for Monty however hard we tried. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Carolyn. That means a lot to me coming from someone who works tirelessly for the animals alongside Sallyan and the others over in Ovacik and surrounding areas. You all do a fantastic job xxx

      Delete
  2. It's so sad to see such neglect. If only the strays could be neutered, it would prevent so many unwanted dogs being born. I feel the same about the feral cats I see in France and I try to feed those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neutering is the answer Perpetua. By law the belediye (council) in each area should have a vet to carry out this. It's called the Trap, Neuter and Release programme. Sadly many of them don't step up. This is why expats and others start up charities and groups, and try to raise money to get as many neutered as possible.

      I had all mine done of course, and would like to work towards getting more on the streets done.

      Delete
  3. Poor animals...at least they had a chance to eat.

    This pedigree dog nonsense drives me wild. I was at the vet yesterday when a bulldog puppy came in for its jabs...poor little nose shoved back in its face - just think of the breathing problems it will face.
    The vet had a tirade - well, by Costa Rican standards...about why get a puppy and pay a fortune when there are so many nice little pups needing good homes.
    He takes in a stack of them - and finds homes - while his house and garden are well populated by animals too injured or old to be trusted to any one else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done your vet Helen. And he sounds like a good man..much like our Mehmet, who also has at least half a dozen strays who have taken up residence at his clinic.

      Delete
  4. Well done Linda and Mr.A for feeding the strays. Your vet sounds excellent, a bit like Duygu in Selcuk.
    I will try the flea lotion you mention, because it works out very expensive for me with 5 dogs. I nearly took another dog the other day. I was going by train from Camlik, to Izmir and intended on my return to take this little dog, but unfortunately she wasn`t around when I came back. Next time I am around that area, I will look for her. She ended up with my packed lunch!!
    Take care.F.XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Fleur, Duygu was also an excellent vet, who we used a couple of times for Beki.

      Bayticol comes in a 100ml bottle and is easy to use, it has a special measuring dispenser at the top. You use 1ml for every 10kg bodyweight, so it is very economical. I don't use it on small dogs though, but any over say 15kg is ok. I just put it on the back of the neck/shoulders in the same way as you do for frontline.

      Trust you to give up your lunch for a dog xxxx

      Delete
  5. Keep up the good work Linda .
    I had a laugh out loud moment when you said Mr A gave you one of those looks ....this happens to me very often and sometimes it does the trick and other times it is not sufficient and I feel the over powering need to release wroth and rage on someone
    who either by choice or ignorance has mıstreated an animal somewhere.
    May we never change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna. Ah yes, I don't always acknowledge or take notice of the "look"...depends what sort of mood I'm in :-)

      Delete
  6. It's usually Mr A who doesn't hold back isn't it? I'm surprised he gave YOU the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true BtoB, but usually when I'm not around. It's this Turkish male thing. When I am with him and we are in the company of other men, he hates me being too outspoken, in case they think I wear the trousers (which I do of course!)

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to donate to help my rescue dogs and the strays of our village and local industrial estate, please go to the Paypal button at the top of my sidebar. Thankyou x