Pages

Friday, 13 December 2013

Monty The Destroyer

I've been blaming Freddie for all the chewing and destruction going on here.  Blankets ripped apart and dragged around the garden, shoes chewed, etc.  It's an easy mistake to make.  After all Freddie has chewed most things he could get his teeth into since he arrived.

However, I discovered the real perpetrator of all this damage today.  It's "innocent, butter wouldn't melt in my mouth" Monty.  When he's outside with the big guys he disappears into their dog room.  Megan and Sammy come out, leaving Blondie and Freddie with Monty.  Blondie has taken on the role of mother to Monty.  She tries very hard to distract him, and if he is having a rough and tumble with any of the others, she sits and watches to make sure he doesn't get hurt.  Not much chance of that as the others tolerate him biting their legs and ears with such good grace.

This morning I crept up on them.  And there he was in the dog room, ripping a blanket to shreds, whilst Freddie watched (looking a bit guilty as he usually does, hence my always assuming it's him) and Blondie watching Monty and looking quite anxious.

I called him out and shut him on the balcony.  Big mistake.  I was distracted for a while in the kitchen, and when I went out to the balcony, I discovered a chewed up throw from the sofa, my outdoor slip on shoes completely destroyed.  He had even managed to perch on the arm of the sofa to enable him to chew off the corner of the table.   Little bugger!

I'm really not very good with discipline but I realised I needed to make him understand he had been naughty, so I told him firmly to go inside in his bed and to stay.  He got out of his bed a couple of times and followed me into the kitchen and I made him return and eventually he got the message.  Of course I am just a big softy, and within half an hour, and a look into his eyes,  I just had to give him a cuddle and he is now curled up on my bed.

Mr A is worse than me.  Every time I tell him that one of the dogs has misbehaved he just laughs.  What a right pair we are.  We really need to toughen up!

14 comments:

  1. Oh dear, you really are going to have to harden your hearts or you won't have a home to live in, Ayak. We once had a cat who liked to sharpen her claws on the furniture and it took quite a while to break her of the habit. Does Monty not have some good chewable toys to distract him?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost impossible to find good dog toys here Perpetua. I will have to stock up when I go to England at the end of the month. I have four kongs that I got in England last time I was there,and have tried him with one of those, but he isn't interested. Obviously they're not as exciting as blankets, shoes and tables!

      Delete
  2. Linda we give ours plastic bottles, lids removed of course. Tubes from the middle of kitchen foil are very strong and will last a sort time, also if it's a teething thing I've cubes frozen carrots or a wet dish cloth twisted and frozen give relief, old flip flops are a hit but they can struggle to distinguish theirs and ours, had. Hope some of that is helpful jaynexx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jayne. I already use small plastic water bottles and I put biscuits inside so that keeps them occupied for a while. They also like the bread here which is crusty, but I freeze this too so it takes them a while to chew through it. Good idea about frozen carrots and the frozen dish cloth and the tube from tin foil....will give those a try...thanks xxx

      Delete
  3. We cut the sleeves off old long sleeved t-shirts and tied them together by knotting them in the middle, and this is now one of Tommys favourite toys, he prefers it to his shop bought ones. It's good for chewing but also good for a game of tug-o-war. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy (Tommy's foster mum). I also do this with old towels and blankets...in fact the remains of Monty's chewed blanket today has produce about half a dozen of these! So Tommy will have plenty to play with! All 5 dogs have been playing tug-o-war today. You really do have to improvise here!

      See you on Monday xxx

      Delete
  4. Oh I so sympathise with you Linda. Our pup Big Red has eaten David,s kindle, the back off the sofa, shoes, tea-towels, dishcloths, clothes, lighters. Actually to log every thing would take all day and three pages of your blog! Worse still she has no remorse or even acknowledgement of any wrong doing ever! Good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear Jacquie, I guess with all our dogs we are bound to get one destroyer aren't we? I have given him everything I can think of to chew today, and have been watching him like a hawk, except for a brief moment when I turned my back and he was trying to dig up a grapevine. I don't know what the answer is. I think Freddie has stopped chewing, also Blondie used to chew but no longer does, so I'm hoping Monty will too eventually. Let's hope Big Red grows out of it too!

      Delete
  5. Well it just goes to show that the obviously naughty ones are not to blame for everything.
    What is the saying? Silent waters run deep!
    Bless them all!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is Maggie, since we've had dogs we can't afford to buy anything of any value, so it's small consolation that there is nothing special that can be destroyed!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. He is Helen. Sometimes the little innocent looking ones are the worst. And the other little one arrives today...wonder if it will be double trouble!

      Delete
  7. I've had to move most of my cushions as Jake took to chewing the ends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear BtoB. Little devils aren't they? Monty wouldn't be satisfied with just the ends, he'd have to demolish the whole thing, and Freddie would be there waiting to help him!

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to donate to help my rescue dogs and the strays of our village and local industrial estate, please go to the Paypal button at the top of my sidebar. Thankyou x