Pages

Wednesday, 4 December 2013

Thankyou

I was uncertain yesterday about posting on Facebook and here on my blog about losing Poppy.  I'm not sure I really knew what to say.  Words can't really describe how I feel.

When we rescued Poppy about 4 years ago, she was already at least 3 years old.  The state she was in was clearly indicative of the appalling life she had already led.  She was around 2kg in weight, hardly any fur.  She had mange, ticks, worms, fleas, and we established that she didn't have a very strong heart.  As if this wasn't enough, she was also in season when she arrived.  What a timid forelorn little thing she was.

She needed a hell of a lot more TLC than any dogs I have had before or since.  Of course we adored Beki, who was only 2 weeks old when we rescued her, who died last year aged 10 years old,  but we had her from the beginning so we knew what we were dealing with.

My other dogs know something has happened.  When Mr A was going back and forth to the vet over the past few days, carrying her in her cosy bed, the dogs all rushed out to him when he returned, jumping up at him.  When he returned yesterday with Poppy's body in her bed, they didn't jump.  All 5 of them sat quietly at the gate, and allowed him to walk past them without moving.

Monty has not left my side since yesterday.  It's as if he knows he now has to comfort me.  If I was religious, maybe I would believe that adopting him a few weeks ago was some sort of divine intervention...that he was destined to be here at this time.

Mr A has spent all his time since yesterday making a beautiful grave for Poppy at the end of the garden, with a little brick wall around it.  He is distraught and he has to find something practical to do.

People who don't have, or have never had, pets probably don't get all this.  Some would say that people are more important than animals.  I don't agree.  All living creatures on this earth are important.  As far as dogs and cats are concerned, when you give them a home they love you unconditionally.  I'm not sure I could always say the same about people.

The situation for the animals in this country is dire.  It breaks my heart every day to see the starving and sick animals on the streets.  It's a desperate, and ever escalating problem, but we can only do our best.

As I was waiting for Mr A to return with Poppy yesterday, a very thin and quite young dog turned up at my gate.   I rushed in to get some food, but he ran away.   I saw him at a distance.  I followed but he wouldn't return, so I left the food down at the bottom of the road in the hope that he might return.  I haven't seen him since, but I live in hope.

But the main reason for writing this post is to say thankyou to everyone for the kind messages that you have left here and on Facebook.   Your words have been such a comfort to me  xxxx

12 comments:

  1. They are our friends, just as people are and we miss them in the same way.
    I'm rather wary of people who don't like animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Helen. It was one of the first things that I learned about Mr A when we first met. He was always stopping to feed dogs and cats way back then, even if it was only bread. Having seen how cruel others here were, it quite surprised me.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you Linda, animals love you unconditionally. My dogs are always happy and wagging their tails, so pleased to see me and always a comfort, they know if I am not feeling myself. Even Isabella senses what is going on.
    Monty will be by your side now I am sure, he knows you need him.
    I am glad Mr. A is making a lovely grave for Poppy.
    F.XXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleur, you and I have always felt this way about animals. They are not stupid, they respond so well to people they trust. I really want to meet your donkey Isabella. She sounds like quite a character. Maybe I'll try to get over to you soon. xxx

      Delete
  3. So sad Linda. I know exactly how you feel. I remember only too well the dreadful grief we felt when we lost our Labrador earlier this year, and there are still moments when the loss is enormous. They are so conspicuous in their absence at times. But life moves on and we now have other needy animals we have been able to help. Not that they in any way replace him, but more it is a tribute to him that another street dog can now have a proper home. Time heals but they are never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquie, it's the looking in the places where they usually are and they are not there...that's the worst feeling. You've done a great job with your rescues Jacquie. Of course they never replace the ones that we have lost, but their need is just as great xxx

      Delete
  4. You are always welcome. Isabella is a real character believe me!! Today she has been eating Haribo Marshmallows, not too many of course, too much sugar is not good for her, but it is quite amazing what she likes to eat. I hope you are both feeling a bit better, it will take time.XXXF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give you a ring in the next day or so Fleur. I think a trip out on the bus might be just what I need xxx

      Delete
  5. So sorry you have lost your little Poppy Ayak and you're right we never forget our pets. Just think how wonderful that you were able to give Poppy all those years with you, so loved & cared for - a life she would never have had if you hadn't rescued her. If she could speak I am sure she would have told you how grateful she was that despite a bad start in life she had so many happy years with you & Mr A. Best wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending you and the family lots of hugs, Ayak {{{}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Deniz. Lots of love to you xxx

      Delete

I love getting comments, but don't feel obliged...I'm just happy you're reading my blog.

Posts are moderated to avoid spam, so if you post under "Anonymous",leave your name at the end of your comment so that I know it's a "real" person!.

If you would like to donate to help my rescue dogs and the strays of our village and local industrial estate, please go to the Paypal button at the top of my sidebar. Thankyou x